Friday, February 5, 2016

OS X El Capitan on Mac Pro 1.1

After owning a Mac Pro for one month I thought it was time to upgrade, and so I did. Choosing a graphics card was not so hard, I wanted a budget graphics card with the capability of playing some light games so I went with a Radeon R5 230. The graphics card works perfect but I lost the boot screen because it isn't flashed. My Mac Pro doesn't recognise the card as an R5 230 but as an ATI Radeon 6000 series which isn't a big deal to me.

Installing OS X El Capitan was very easy and it took me literally 5 minutes. I have just one complaint, and those are the random crashes and just the stability overall. The machine goes into sleep randomly and just doesn't wake up but when I hit the power button it turns off instantly and in a normal situation you have to press the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. What irritates me the most is that some applications just quit by them selves. This mostly happens just before it goes into sleep. But apart from that El Capitan works really smooth and I enjoy working on it. If I have to do some really important work I'll switch to my Lion installation which is on my second hard drive until I've solved this issue. 

I'm going to post a tutorial about how to put El Capitan on a Mac Pro 1.1, so if your curious about how I did this make sure to check in next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment